Sleep better, get your perfect mattress: soft or firm?
Get ready to sleep like a baby because May is the month dedicated to getting better sleep! And what better time to tackle the age-old dilemma of soft versus firm mattresses?
According to the Better Sleep Council, a whopping 51% of Americans prefer a firm or very firm mattress, while the remaining 49% are all about the soft and cushy feel. That means that the average couple has a 50-50 chance of agreeing on a mattress preference. Talk about a challenge!
But here’s the thing, when we talk about firm and soft mattresses, we’re really referring to the top layer’s feel of the bed, not the actual support level. Regardless of which side of the fence you fall on, the most important factor to consider is the mattress’s ability to maintain your spine’s natural curve and align with your hips, neck, and head without causing painful pressure points.
So, if you want to wake up feeling refreshed and rejuvenated every morning, it’s essential to choose the right mattress for your body. Whether you prefer a firm or soft mattress, make sure it supports your spine and provides the comfort you need for a good night’s sleep. Sweet dreams!
Where do you think you fit in?
Do you love sleeping on a firm mattress? Congratulations, you’re in good company! Sleep experts have found that those who prefer a firmer surface are typically back or stomach sleepers. Why, you ask? Well, it’s all about spinal support. A flat and even surface provides just the right amount of support for your spinal cord, keeping it in a neutral position throughout the night.
Now, if you’re a soft mattress lover, chances are you’re a side sleeper. Why, you ask? Because sinking into that extra cushioning can feel like a dream come true! A firm mattress can create uncomfortable pressure points on your hips, making it difficult to get a good night’s sleep. Luckily, firmness is rated on a scale of 1 to 10, so there’s a wide range of comfort levels available depending on the materials used and how they’re assembled.
But don’t worry if you can’t decide between the two! Many companies offer mattresses that are firm on one side and soft on the other, giving you the best of both worlds. And if you and your partner have different preferences, you can always opt for a split king, with each side equal to a twin-XL size mattress. Just make sure to invest in a mattress connector, which is a piece of fabric or foam that covers the split between the beds and includes straps to hold the two side-by-side mattresses together.
So, whether you’re a firm mattress lover or a soft mattress aficionado, there’s a perfect bed out there waiting for you.
Side note: Two single mattresses create the with of a king but are about 12 centimeters shorter
If you prefer a firmer surface, but your partner is all about that soft cushioning, consider getting a firmer mattress and adding a twin topper to one side. This way, your partner can enjoy the comfort they crave without sacrificing the support you need. It’s a win-win situation!
So, why spend a fortune on a mattress that only half of you will love? With a little creativity and compromise, you can both sleep soundly and wake up feeling refreshed. Give the firmer mattress/twin topper combo a try from eezisleep.co.za and see if it works for you!